summary
Gawain is going to face the knight like he promised a year and 1 day earlier. He soon hears the sound of an axe being sharpened and knows its his fate. The Green knight comes out and welcomes Gawain. He is oddly polite toward him. The knight pretends to try and cut off his head three times before Gawain gets angry and challenges him to a fight. The Knight does not fight but tells Gawin he is spared.
quote
And one and all fell prey
To women they had used;
If I be led astray,
Methinks I may be excused.
(lines 2242-2248)
reaction
I was surprised to find out that Gawin would be spared. I thought the knight would cut his head off like he promised in the begining of the book. Instead he complimented him on his courage and even offered a reward for it, that Gawin did not take.
No comments:
Post a Comment